Baking. What better way to spend your Christmas Eve, eh?! I have always been in charge of pudding for Christmas Day, probably because I love baking and experimenting with flavours. This year I have decided to bake Peppermint and Chocolate Chip Cupcakes. I have made the cakes quite a couple of times before and they have went down a treat so I thought I would share the recipe with you!
125g vegan butter
125g caster sugar
1 banana, mashed
175g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
75g dark chocolate chips
25g clear hard peppermint sweets, crushed
350g icing sugar
100g vegan butter
green food colouring
dark chocolate chips for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a cake tin with paper cases.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the mashed banana with self raising flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Fold in the chocolate chips and crushed peppermint sweets.
3. Spoon into cases and bake for 15- 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
4. For the frosting, cream butter and icing sugar together with 1 tbsp warm water, peppermint extract and green food colouring. Mix until it forms a butter consistency.
5. Once the cakes are cool, spread the icing over the cakes and place a square of dark chocolate on top of each cake. Previously I have used dark chocolate chips and mint creams too.
The cakes taste delicious and the mint gives it that festive feel! It just shows that you don’t need animal ingredients to make tasty treats. The cakes usually keep for 3-4 days if placed in an airtight container.
Let me know if you bake them, I would love to see your posts!